Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Midterm Diptych

Artist Statement

My Big Idea is perspective. In my brainstorming I looked many themes within the idea of perspective such as where people draw the line between funny and offensive and how people show their emotions. Next I decided that I wanted to focus on the theme of how perspective is formed and changed over time. However, after sharing this theme with my small group, we decided that that theme maybe a bit too complex for this project. They suggested that I focused on something more personal instead in order to help me narrow my focus. Therefore, my final theme under the Big Idea of perspective is my own view of myself through a white lens and black lens because I am biracial. I tied to convey this message through the use of opposing colors like black and white, as well as hot and cold colors red and blue. As far as subject matter, I used imagery of musicians to show my differing perspectives. I also used the image of two different trees with pictures in them to represent my family tree. Compositionally, I chose to use two mirroring layouts to show that both views are equal but different.

This idea Big Idea is important to me because I believe that better understanding of people and why they are the way they are allows for better acceptance and tolerance of others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment